Monday, August 19, 2013

Munchkin Monday #6: Hugs from Pearl, by Paul Schmid



A quick look at the new books I have read with Boy Child and Girl Child

This is Pearl.

Pearl loves to hug.

Hugs are nice . . . except when they come from a porcupine.

Pearl tries and tries to solve her problem and finally fixes it in her very own way.

From the author-artist of
A Pet for Petunia comes a prickly new character with a great big heart.
Paul Schmid paints Pearl’s world with soft and dreamy colors that reflect just how sweet she is beneath her sharp-quilled porcupine exterior.

 Amazon          Barnes & Noble          Goodreads

I didn't enjoy this book.

I'm pretty sure that the moral of the story is that you don't have to change who you are, but it lacked... something.

Pearl's friends may not like being stuck with Pearl's quills, but they're still her friends.  So I don't understand Pearl's insistence that she has to cut her quills or soften them in order to reduce prickage*.

And when Pearl takes one of her mother's best pillowcases and cuts it up?  I cringed.
That is SO not the message I want to send to my kids: here, go destroy mommy's stuff.  What fun it is!
Um, no.

 

* I totally need to start using this word all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment