Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom, by Dayna Macy



Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

What should I eat? How much should I eat? What does it mean to be nourished? How can I, a food lover and lifelong overeater, learn to be satisfied? These are the questions Dayna Macy asks in her debut memoir, "Ravenous."

Like the author, I have struggled with obsessive eating my whole life and wondered "why?"

I am grateful that the author doesn't have any "secret" at the end of the book. I find that refreshingly honest in a genre where authors like to wrap things up with a pretty bow at the end; real life is rarely like that. Other reviewers were disappointed that there was no "secret" and gave the book a lower rating for it. Macy, however, made it very clear that there IS NO SECRET. She knows she's not the first person to figure this out, and she does not claim to be the first to discover journaling and portion control.

There were several passages that really spoke to me and helped me reframe how I think about food and what I put in to my body. I will be doing further reading on Ayurvedic practice, as Macy's description of the healing properties have really intrigued me.

No comments:

Post a Comment