Friday, August 10, 2012

Sweethearts, by Sara Zarr



Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

I really wanted to like this book. I enjoyed Story of a Girl and I love teen angst, so this was a perfect book for me. Unfortunately, I hated all of the characters, with the exception of Jenna's step-father. It felt like the book was trying too hard to be this deep, existential story. Instead, Jenna comes off looking like a selfish brat; Cameron as overly emo; and Jenna's friends as caricatures.

I think that Zarr was trying to show how even the "popular" kids have issues, but it was forced down our throats: look at how bad Jenna has it!

What really annoyed me?

The huge, climactic moment in Jenna's life turned out to be creepy, but not necessarily life-changing. Cameron's dad was obviously not someone I'd want my kids hanging around, and I would have called the cops (and don't get me started on the fact that Jenna never told her mom what had happened), but for THIS to be the defining moment of her life? I just didn't buy it.

I did love the format of the story: present day and short flashbacks, all leading up to a life-changing moment.

I'm wavering on whether or not to read How To Save A Life, but I'll keep it on my TBR list for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment