Saturday, March 17, 2012

One For The Money (Stephanie Plum #1), by Janet Evanovich



Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

Welcome to colorful Trenton, New Jersey, and the wild and wonderful world of Stephanie Plum. In One for the Money, rookie "apprehension agent" Plum may be a bit wet behind the ears, but nobody's gonna take it easy on her; especially her first skip, an ex-cop and murder suspect named Morelli.

2.5 stars, rounded up to 3 because I actually finished it and didn't toss it aside.

I knew going in that this book was published in 1994, so I expected some outdated references. I laughed out loud at the reminder of wireless land-line phones with pull-up antennae and "car" phones. Ah, the good ol' days when you got 20 minutes a month and each additional minute cost $1 (as my father used to constantly remind me). But the Spandex biker shorts? Ugh. How many outfits did she wear in this book? I swear that 60% of them involved Spandex and t-shirts.

:: shudder ::

What I mostly took away from the book was the ridiculous machismo. I really don't get the whole "I know he may be a murderer, but he's really hot, so it's okay to flirt with him" thing. The main character -- Stephanie Plum -- was not nearly as outraged at the violence against women she was seeing and experiencing as she should be. And how on earth does someone who's been a bounty hunter for all of two days keep running into the person she's tracking? Meanwhile, the cops and previous bounty hunters have no idea where to look. Honestly? She's kind of an idiot.

There was too much going on in terms of the "mystery" and the ending was anti-climactic. It was almost as though Evanovich decided that it would be a good time for the book to come to a close, so voila! Here is all of the information on the bad guys. Case closed. Resume flirting.

Thankfully this book was a quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment