Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Broken Bulbs, by Eddie Wright



Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

Frank Fisher is nothing. He wants to be something. When a mysterious young woman named Bonnie offers assistance by injecting seeds of inspiration directly into his brain, Frank finds himself involved in a twisting mystery full of addiction, desperation and self-discovery. Broken Bulbs, a novella by Eddie Wright, tells the story of the lengths one young man will go in the pursuit of "somethingness."

 

I have absolutely no idea how to rate this book. I liked it, but it was...different.

What I liked:

  1. The writing. It was descriptive without being flowery and it matched the tone and the pacing of the story. 
  2. The editing. Most Indie books are full of errors. It was a nice change to read something that was well-written. I only caught one instance of a missing word.
  3. The intrigue. I was thoroughly confused about what was going on, but I was sucked in to the story and kept reading. And I want to know more!
  4. The price. I got the Kindle version for free on Amazon. A great way to learn about a new author!

What I didn't like:

  1. I'm still not sure what the point of the story is and I have a lot of unanswered questions.

Given that I liked more than I didn't like, I am giving this novella four stars. I think that this author has a lot of potential and I will definitely read more of his work should he publish anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment